- Who We Are HostMonster provides cloud-based solutions, including web-hosting, domain name and related products and services, to businesses, individuals, non-profit organizations and others. As part of the The Endurance International Group, Inc. ("Endurance") corporate family, HostMonster is able to provide a variety and range of products and services to help Subscribers with their technological needs. To learn more about the Endurance corporate family, visit: http://www.enduranceinternational.com
Information We Collect
- Subscriber Information. Subscribers are asked to provide certain personal information when they sign up for HostMonster services including name, postal address, email address, telephone number, and billing information (such as a credit card number). In addition, to register a domain name, Subscribers are asked to provide this information for the registrant, administrative contact, technical contact and billing contact of the domain name (collectively, "Domain Name Registration Information"), for submission to the appropriate domain registry or registration database. Subscribers may also be asked to complete an online form that collects information about demographics, product usage and preferences, along with other information that will help us improve our products and services.
- Cookies and Tracking. HostMonster uses different types of cookies (which are electronic collections of information stored on a local computer that are used by websites to keep track of visitors and registered users and to relate one computer transaction to a later one) and other methods of uniquely tracking visitors for different purposes. For example, some cookies are "required cookies" which are necessary for HostMonster's website to work. In addition, cookies are used to provide HostMonster's existing Subscribers with the opportunity for continued savings and increased convenience as described in more detail below.
- Cookies for Improving Our Web Site. HostMonster uses "performance cookies" to inform HostMonster of a repeat visit. However, these cookies do not tell HostMonster who a visitor is, the visitor's name, email address, or passwords.
- Cookies for Subscriber Account Management. For HostMonster Subscribers, HostMonster uses "functional cookies" to store user names for added convenience. For example, the cookie would contain a piece of identifying information such as a customer ID, username, or session ID that would be used to look up the customer ID. HostMonster offers password-protected, web-based management tools as part of its webhosting packages. By storing a Subscriber's username in a cookie, the Subscriber will not have to fill out form fields each time he or she manages the account. (The cookie does not store passwords.)
- Cookies for Advertising. HostMonster may also utilize "advertising cookies" to track referrals from internal and external affiliates, as well as advertising campaigns. HostMonster may also use a third party service provider to send emails that you have agreed to receive. Pixel tags and cookies may be used in those email messages to help HostMonster measure the effectiveness of its advertising and to enable HostMonster to provide more focused marketing communications to you.
- Customer Surveys. HostMonster may periodically conduct customer surveys. Participation in our customer surveys is voluntary. However, we encourage Subscribers to participate in these surveys because they provide HostMonster with important information that helps improve the types of services we offer and how we provide them to you. Your personal information, if provided, will remain confidential, even if the survey is conducted by a third party service provider on our behalf.
- Subscriber Contact/Account Information. The information collected from Subscribers is used to manage each Subscriber's account (such as for billing and account management purposes) and to promote other products or services that HostMonster believes may be of interest to its Subscribers. HostMonster may also generate non-identifying and aggregate profiles from information that Subscribers provide during registration (such as the total number of Subscribers in a given category, but not their names). As explained in more detail below, HostMonster may in certain instances use this aggregated and non-identifying information to promote advertisements that appear on HostMonster's website and in connection with its services. Any such aggregated and non-identifying information that HostMonster collects, and any analysis of such information that it produces, is proprietary information of HostMonster.
- Analytics/Statistics. HostMonster uses information gathered from its website analytics (for example, User IP addresses) to help diagnose problems with HostMonster servers, and to administer and optimize HostMonster's website. HostMonster also gathers broad demographic information from this data to help improve its website and make your browsing and purchasing experience more responsive, efficient, or enjoyable. Any statistics gathered by HostMonster are proprietary property of HostMonster.
- Responses to Email Inquiries When Subscribers send email inquiries to HostMonster, the return email address (and other personal information provided in the inquiry) is used to answer the email inquiry received.
- Customer Surveys. HostMonster may use the contact information provided in customer surveys to follow up on survey answers. HostMonster may also contact you to highlight the changes HostMonster makes in response to your feedback.
- Confidentiality. With the exception of other members of the Endurance corporate family and trusted business partners who work with or on behalf of HostMonster, and are subject to specific confidentiality agreements, HostMonster will not provide or sell to any third party your personal information and will keep all Subscriber information confidential, subject to the following:
- Service Providers. Upon registration for HostMonster services, certain Subscriber information may be transferred to trusted affiliated or unaffiliated third parties that help HostMonster provide certain services or that provide certain services on HostMonster's behalf. For example, Subscriber information may be transferred to HostMonster's affiliated registrar, FastDomain (WHOIS Domain Name Registration Information), or to unaffiliated third parties that help HostMonster provide email services or SSL certifications.
- Co-marketing Activities. Some services are offered or promoted in conjunction with a HostMonster partner or sponsor. For example, HostMonster may partner with other corporate affiliates of Endurance or with trusted non-affiliated partners for co-promotions of a particular product or service. HostMonster may share certain Subscriber contact information but no billing information with HostMonster's partner or sponsor in order to provide the relevant services or to run the promotion. If HostMonster shares Subscriber information with partners and sponsors, HostMonster requires that they maintain the Subscriber information in confidence, and use the information solely for purposes of providing the services or carrying out the agreed upon promotion.
- Online Advertisements. HostMonster does not share personally identifiable information about individual users with advertisers. HostMonster may display online advertisements and share aggregated and non-identifying information about Subscribers collected through the registration process or through online surveys and promotions with certain advertisers. This aggregated and non-identifying information may be used to deliver tailored advertisements. For example, an advertiser may tell HostMonster the audience it wants to reach (e.g., males between 25 and 55 years of age) and provide HostMonster with an advertisement tailored to that audience. Based upon the aggregated and non-identifying information collected by HostMonster, HostMonster may then display the advertisement to the intended audience.
- Customer Surveys. In addition to sharing survey information with service providers confidentially as described above, HostMonster may share aggregated, non-personally identifying information obtained from customer surveys within the Endurance corporate family or with third parties.
- Law Enforcement. HostMonster will respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal processes, and will utilize Subscriber information as necessary to establish or exercise HostMonster's legal rights or defend against legal claims. Additionally, HostMonster will share information to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations or suspected violations of HostMonster's Terms of Service, or as otherwise required by law.
- Domain Registration. In certain jurisdictions or pursuant to the rules of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ("ICANN") or certain registries, Domain Name Registration Information has to be made available and accessible to the public through a "WHOIS" search. The WHOIS database is a publicly accessible database that lists the Domain Name Registration Information for a particular domain name, the name server(s) to which the domain name points, and the domain name's creation and expiration date. The Domain Name Registration Information you provide is hosted by HostMonster or a third party service provider and is made available to the public through WHOIS searches. HostMonster may deposit your Domain Name Registration Information with a third-party escrow provider to comply with ICANN requirements. At times, Subscribers may receive solicitations that result from searches of the publicly available WHOIS database by other companies or individuals. Any such solicitations or SPAM do not come from HostMonster and HostMonster does not control the use of WHOIS information by third parties.
- Domain Privacy. When HostMonster is threatened with suit by a third party, or any other legal action is brought to HostMonster's attention involving HostMonster based on the anonymity of a domain name, HostMonster may seek assurance from you, the customer, concerning your promise to indemnify HostMonster and written confirmation that you have contacted the complainant and made your contact information available to the complainant. Failure to promptly provide these assurances may be considered by HostMonster to be a breach of your agreement with HostMonster and may result in deactivation of your domain name and disclosure of your contact information so that any allegations of infringement or other wrongdoing may be directly resolved between you and the complainant.
- Public Forums. Please remember that any information you may disclose or post in forums or other public areas of HostMonster's website or the Internet, becomes public information. You should exercise caution when deciding to disclose personal information in these public areas. To request removal of your personal information from HostMonster community forums or testimonials, contact HostMonster at tos@HostMonster.com. In some cases, HostMonster may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case HostMonster will let you know why it is unable to do so.
- Unsubscribe/Opt-out. When you become a Subscriber of HostMonster, you are automatically subscribed to receive transactional notices about your account, email newsletters and news of special promotions offered through HostMonster and/or in conjunction with HostMonster's partners.
To unsubscribe from HostMonster newsletters and promotional mailings, please update your preferences in your HostMonster control panel or contact HostMonster support. You may also unsubscribe through the links provided in promotional email messages sent by HostMonster or on HostMonster's behalf.
- How to Access or Modify Your Information. HostMonster allows you to access, update, and correct inaccuracies in your personal information in HostMonster's custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. You may request access, updating and corrections of inaccuracies in your personal information HostMonster has in its custody or control by accessing your the control panel or by contacting support via email, phone or online chat. HostMonster may request certain personal information for the purposes of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to their personal information records.
To ensure you receive the information you need to manage your account and protect your privacy, please be sure to keep your contact and billing information up to date. You can update all account-related information directly through your control panel. Alternatively, you can contact HostMonster support.
Fax: 801-765-1992 or E-mail: legal@HostMonster.com
Last updated: March 28, 2014
- Information Related to Data Collected through Resellers. HostMonster may collect information under the direction of Resellers, and HostMonster has no direct relationship with the individuals whose personal data is provided, processed or obtained by HostMonster's Resellers. Customers who seek access, or who seek to correct, amend, or delete inaccurate data should direct their query to the Reseller's data controller. If the Reseller requests that HostMonster remove the data, HostMonster will respond to such request within thirty (30) business days.
- Choice. If you are a customer of one of HostMonster's Resellers and would no longer like to be contacted by such Reseller, please contact the Reseller from whom you purchased products or services.
- Data Retention. HostMonster retains personal data it processes on behalf of HostMonster's Resellers for as long as needed to provide services under the relationship. HostMonster will retain and use this personal information as necessary to comply with HostMonster's legal obligations, resolve disputes, and to enforce its agreements.
This file was last modified: March 28, 2014.