HostMonster Web Hosting Help
VPS and Dedicated Hosting: Enabling FTP on New Servers
This article will explain how to enable FTP on a newly provisioned VPS or Dedicated cPanel server. Since FTP is an unsecured connection point to the server, cPanel has it disabled by default in version 11.86 or prior. For additional information regarding why FTP is disabled by default, please review the following article from cPanel; click here to learn more.
Login to the WHM
You will need to be able to log in to WHM on your server. This requires knowing the root password for your server. If you don't know the root password or haven't set one up, please, see VPS & Dedicated Hosting: Log in to WHM.
- Log in to the WHM by going to yourdomain.com/whm in a browser. Replace yourdomain.com with your domain.
- Once you get to the login page, enter your username and password.
- Username will be root.
- Password will be the root password for your server.
- If this is your first time logging into the WHM, you may see a page titled Feature Showcase. Click on Exit to WHM at the bottom of the page.
Access the FTP Server Selection
- Search for FTP in the top left corner of the WHM.
- Select FTP Server Selection.
Select your option
- Here, the default setting for FTP is Disabled.
- We advise using the PURE-FTPD service as it is the server's faster, more reliable FTP service.
Set your option
Once the new option is selected, scroll down and click Save.
For further assistance, you may contact our Chat Support or Phone Support via 888-401-4678. You may also refer to our Knowledge Base articles to help answer common questions and guide you through various setup, configuration, and troubleshooting steps.